Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Kevin and his learner's permit

I now know what my mother felt when I first got my learner's permit and why she lovingly passed all driving responsibilities to my dad.  Just like Michael has passed all driving opportunities for Kevin to me. 

I was proud of Kevin for not only getting a perfect score the first time testing but for getting his learner's permit.  Now comes the fun part of learning or so I thought.

I don't have many memories of my parents letting me drive often.  I got most of my driving time from the driving instructor at my high school.  Being that Kevin is being homeschooled, I get to be not only his mom but his driving instructor. 

Kevin asked if I could take him out driving on Saturday.  I was exhausted from my shopping day but I agreed.  I drove up to the high school parking lot thinking that on a Saturday evening the parking lot would be empty.  WRONG~ There were a few cars in the parking lot.  First lesson- not to hit the other cars in the parking lot.  Did good with that one.  We drove around and around the parking lot- wow that got boring real fast.  I told him to go out on the road for a little bit in front of the school and drive around the back of the school.  We took the cut through road to the middle school.  He was doing good, so I decided to have him venture just a little bit further.  We went through the intersection just fine:)  I asked him to pull into a closed business parking lot.  As he swerved into the parking lot, I felt my heart jump.  I asked him ever so nicely not to ever do that again.

He regrouped and out on the road we went again.  This time it started to rain- oh how lovely.  I asked him if he could see OK, he said he could, so we kept going.  I had him pull into the Elementary school bus loop and drive around.  Then asked him to go to the intersection.  When he finally stopped, we were sitting in the middle of the intersection- oops.  Thankfully, no one was coming in either direction.  Well, not exactly, out of no where a police officer came through the intersection.  I'm not sure where he was originally heading but seeing Kevin behind the wheel- he decided that watching us would be more interesting.  Kevin passed him and he pulled out behind us.  Once again, I felt my heart jump.  I just knew that on Kevin's first day of driving he was going to get pulled over.

We pulled into the school and the police officer passed us and went to the middle school to watch us from there.  Well, that was enough fun for the day.  I asked Kevin to park and I drove home.

On Sunday, Kevin begged Michael to take him driving.  Michael finally agreed.  Here are some pictures I took of Kevin behind the wheel:


Michael took him all over Amelia county and onto 360 which is a 60 mph road.  I have been letting him drive a little each day.  Each day, he seems to be getting more and more comfortable being behind the wheel and doesn't try to throw me throw the windshield when he presses the brake anymore:)  Which is much appreciated.  He is so excited to be learning to drive.  To bad all this driving doesn't even count for the mandatory 45 hours of driving time he has to do after completing the classroom portion of Driver's Ed.  But I do feel once we get to that stage, he will be much more comfortable and confident behind the wheel:)

No comments:

Post a Comment