Monday, August 20, 2012

First day of school..........

Today began a new school year.  I am not sure how I feel about them going off all day to school.  For the most part, I enjoyed having them at home.  But breaks are good:)

They got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, brushed teeth and put on their shoes ahead of schedule.  They had a new bus driver so we weren't sure what time he would show up, since he is not familiar with the route.  They were excited to go to school this morning.

I know Nathan was excited to begin his first day of 3rd grade.  He is looking forward to making new friends and seeing his favorite teacher.  We had gone back and forth between him going back to public school or being homeschooled.  We let him make this very important decision.  We found out that his 2nd grade teacher was moving up to 3rd grade and she was his teacher- WOOHOO!!  I love Ms. MacCabe. She knows about Nathan and his difficulties- she also knows how to challenge him and she brings out the best in his learning skills.  She is awesome teacher.  We haven't been having much luck with teachers through out the years my boys have been in school and to find a really great teacher is rare.  Once he learned he was going to be in Ms. MacCabe's class- his face lit up and no words were necessary, even though he shouted, "I'm going to school this year."

Chris is excited to begin his senior year.  Wow a senior already- where is the time going?  Even though Chris has a messed up schedule- we will work hard to get that fixed.  He is working hard to get the credits he needs to graduate.  It will be here before you know it.  I just hope he is ready for real life.  He still is undecided about which direction he wants to go in life but he will figure it out.

Here is a picture of Chris and Nathan waiting for the bus this morning:
Nathan was trying so hard not to smile- not sure why.

You may be asking yourself- aren't you missing a kid- what about Kevin??

Well, this year brings a whole new challenge for Kevin.  This year makes his very first year of  homeschool.  9th grade was not good a good year for Kevin and we seemed to be running into all kinds of issues and getting no help from the school.  We are excited about beginning this journey with him.  We are just waiting for his books to get here so he can get started.  I also just found out that some homeschooling parents are starting a coop in our county- how exciting.  I was feeling so alone in this journey and now he can meet other kids his age that are also being homeschooled this year.

2 comments:

  1. Hey lady, homeschooling will push you to your limits, but you have to do what is best for your children. Have been both ways and like you say, it IS hard to find a teacher who can dedicate the time to your children that THEY need. wish you the best, christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christy,
      I am sure there will be days where I will be saying what am I doing? But I do believe that this is the best thing for Kevin. This year, Kevin will be my only one to be homeschooled- so I think everything will work out. I am up for the challenge:) I am so happy that Nathan lucked out with his teacher- it is hard to find great teachers who recognize your child's potential and are able to push your child to great achievements. Thanks and have a blessed evening~ Theresa

      Delete