Thursday, December 12, 2013

Adventures in Container Gardening

I am loving this weather in Florida.  Nice cool 70 degrees.  I am not missing my cold, snowy and rainy Virginia weather. 

But I do miss my garden.  I love going to the Farmer's Market here and supporting the farmers in my community but I do miss growing, picking and eating the veggies my family grew.

Since we are renting this house, I cannot dig up my back yard for a garden :(  A thought came to mind.  Instead of digging up the yard, why not look into container gardening?  And off to the Internet I went in search of all things container gardening.  I came up with some great information.  I would have never thought to place rocks in the bottoms of my buckets to help the water drain better.  So glad I did my research first :)

I went to Lowe's and got a bag of rocks, garden soil and of course veggie plants.  We ran over to Walmart to get buckets.  I bought all they had and had to go back to Lowes for a few more buckets.

Here is how we set up our container garden:
Hubby drilled holes

Put rocks in

Added soil on top of rocks

Planted plants

Here is my complete container gardening line up :)
We are growing tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, romaine lettuce and zucchini's.  I would have loved some cucumbers but Lowes didn't have any. 

Let's see how container gardening works for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment