Wednesday, May 15, 2013

March 2013 Monthly Project- Homemade Bread

I finally got the opportunity to make March's project- Homemade bread- yea!!  I found a recipe I wanted to make and dove right on in:)

 I got out all my ingredients:
6 C Flour- divided
2 1/4 tsp Yeast
2 1/4 C Milk
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Butter
2 tsp Salt

We combined 2 1/2 C of flour and the yeast in a bowl and whisked it.  I put my butter in a microwavable dish and melted the butter.  I then added the milk, sugar and salt to the melted butter and heated in the microwave for 1 minute.  I added the liquids to the flour yeast mixture and stirred and stirred.  It was nice and gooey.  I added enough flour to the gooey mixture to make it not so sticky.  So, that it could be kneaded.  I kneaded the dough.

I put the dough in a greased bowl and put plastic wrap on top and put dough in the unheated oven  with the light on for 1 hour:
After 1 hour, I took dough out and kneaded it some more and then cut in in half.  I took out rolling pin and attempted the best rectangle I could and then rolled it up and put the rolled up dough in the pan:
 Then I put those 2 pans back in  the unheated oven to rise for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, I baked them at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
The smell of baking bread circulating those my house made my mouth water.  The bread looked so delicious when it came out of the oven.  It was hard to let cool without cutting right into it.  We let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then took the bread out of the pan and cooled on a wire rack before slicing.

Everyone loved the bread- winner:)  Nathan even told me that it was the best bread he has ever eaten and is requesting it everyday in his lunch.

This is a picture of my flour covered bread making helper:)  But he had a blast.





No comments:

Post a Comment