Thursday, November 10, 2011

Homemade Yogurt- Try New Adventures Thursday

I have been wanting to do this for some time now but just couldn't find the time.  I am so happy that I finally took the jump and made my very own homemade yogurt.  It is so creamy and yummy.  I can't keep the boys out of it:)  Plus I don't have to worry about what is in it- like preservatives, artificial stuff and loads of sugar.  I know whats in it- I made it:)

I found a great tutorial and got to work:

I was lucky to find a half gallon of whole milk at Kroger marked down to 1.89 and used 1 Kroger brand vanilla yogurt cup.

First, I poured the half gallon of milk into the crockpot.

I cooked it on low for 2 and a half hours.  I then unplugged it and let it sit for 3 hours.

After letting it sit for 3 hours, I took out 2 cups of the warm milk and added my cup of vanilla yogurt and whisked it real good.

And added it back into the crockpot with the rest of the warm milk.
I put the top back on and wrapped a nice big warm towel around it and tucked it under real good and let it sit for 8 hours.  I think the sitting of the mixture was the hardest part:) 

I went on with my day and tried to patiently wait for the 8 long hours to pass so I could see my glorious creation.  Finally, 8 hours was up.  I unwrapped the towel with delight- you would have thought it was Christmas, I was so excited.  I opened the lip and scooped out the nice and creamy yogurt into a container to once again wait.  It was a little on the runny side. So, I put the yogurt into a container and put it in the fridge to thicken up.
We have yogurt- YEA!!!  I was surprised when the boys ate it plain.  I also use it to make smoothies- Mmmmm:) 

It was so easy to make.  Waiting was the hardest part.  And the votes are in- the boys give it 2 thumbs up.  No more buying yogurt at the store for us:)

Well, that is our new adventure for this beautiful rainy Thursday.  What new adventure did you do today?

This post is linked up to Alicia's Homemaking Try New Adventures Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment