Wednesday, June 8, 2016

My baby grew up :(

I can't believe the time is finally here.  Kevin has left the nest and started on his own journey :)
I can remember the day he announced that he wanted to go into the Air Force.  He worked really hard to graduate High School, contacted a recruiter, took the Asvab, went to MEPS a few times and had a great time with the rest of the recruits at PT :)

Everything was going along great.  We waited and waited and waited to hear if he had a job so that he could go into Basic Training.  It took several months but the announcement came~ he had a job :)

He was told that he would start Basic Training in 80 days.  80 days seemed like so long.  We took those 80 days and did everything we could with him.  We went to Starbucks, he was my shopping buddy for a few trips, went to Tropical Smoothie, went to Menchis, went to Red Robin, went on a family camping trip, etc.  Now looking back those 80 days seemed to fly by.

The more time passed the more Kevin became nervous yet excited at the unknown.  It didn't bother me until the day finally came.  It finally hit me that my baby was leaving.  I know that he won't be gone forever but I can just not stop crying.  I can't believe that I won't be able to see my son for 2 months.  I am counting down the days until we make the 20 hour drive to Texas to see him graduate Basic Training.

He texted me that he landed in San Antonio and was on his way to Lackland Air Force Base yesterday.  I am anxiously awaiting on his first phone call, which I was told would be sometime in the first 72 hours.  **Correction~ he just called.  It was a quick scripted 3 minute call but it was still nice to hear his voice :)

I am so very proud of him.  I look forward to seeing where this journey in his life takes him.

If you could take a moment and say a prayer, keep him in your thoughts and send good vibes that would mean the world to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment