Thursday, June 27, 2013

May 2013 Monthly Project~ Apple Dump Cake

When I was first introduced to an apple dump cake- my first reaction was, what in the world is an apple dump cake?  It was then explained to me it was where you literally dump all the ingredients in a bowl, stir, pour and bake.

Really??  Is it really that easy?  I wanted to put it to the test.

Here is the recipe I chose to try:

Apple Dump Cake
2C Flour
2C Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2C Butter, melted
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cans Apple Pie Filling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9x13 pan.  Dump all ingredients in a bowl and stir.  Pour mixture in 9x13 pan and bake for 1 hour.  Top with icing recipe below if you wish:

Icing
2C Confectioner's Sugar
1/2C Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
3 oz Cream Cheese, softened

Mix above ingredients until fluffy.  Spread on cooled cake.

We decided to skip the icing since the actual cake recipe calls for 2 C of sugar- that is a lot of sugar:) 

Here are the before and after pics:
Everything dumped in bowl

Poured in pan
Yummy Apple goodness:)
I wish I had remembered to get a picture of this scrumptious cake on a plate but the cake seemed to disappear before I had a chance:)  This cake is so good but I must warn you it is very sweet even without the icing.  The boys bouncing off the walls didn't seem to mind:)  I will be experimenting with this recipe further to see about using a lot less sugar.

2 comments:

  1. ok- so i think i might try this ..tomorrow- how much less sugar would you say? just add 1cup?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 cup of sugar is where I would start and see how it tastes. If it tastes like it needs more sugar, then I would add the icing. Let me know how it turns out:)

      Delete