Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Homemade Body Wash Project

This monthly project is all the way back from May.  I know, I know I am so behind.  Trying to get caught up.  Which is choosing to be quite interesting between school and work schedules :)

I have wanted to make homemade body wash for some time now.  I finally got the chance to do it.

I scoured the Internet and You Tube and found numerous videos on how to make your own body wash but I didn't really like any of the recipes.  I watched several videos and came up with my own recipe.  Let's see how this turns out:

I got out all the ingredients I needed to make the body wash.  My hopes were to make a men's body wash and a nice lavender one for me :)  Well, I only had time to make the manly one.
I cut the bar of soap to make it easier to shred
Nice shredded soap

Water added to soap shreds.  Way to much for this small pan.  Had to pour into bigger pot.

My end result~ 64 oz of body wash ready to be tested out
The recipe I came up with for my homemade body wash:

1 bar of soap
8 C Water
1 Tbsp Glycerin
1 Tbsp Vitamin E Oil

Grate the bar of soap and add to pan.  Add 8 cups of water to pan.  Heat on Med Low heat until dissolved.  Take off heat and add Glycerin. Stir.  Let sit until cool to touch and add Vitamin E Oil.  Cool completely and bottle.  I used empty body wash bottles I had collected.

Lesson learned~ the body wash mixture is super runny when bottled.  As it sits, it thickens a lot.  If you want a less thick body wash, just add more than 8 cups of water to your recipe.  You will have to play around with the amount of water until you find just the right consistency that is right for you and your family.  We seem to be divided here.  Some like the thick version and some want a thinner version.

I got the bars of soap at the Dollar Tree.  I got the Glycerin and Vitamin E Oil at Walmart.  The final cost for us was $1.82 for 64 oz of body wash.  Which is around $0.03 an ounce :)

Now off to try to make a nice lavender body wash for myself :)  Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment