Wednesday, June 17, 2015

March 2015 Monthly Project

I know, I know~ I am super behind on my monthly projects.

I actually made this a month or so ago but have been crazy busy with homeschooling, vacation, family and the list goes on and on :)  So here goes:

Originally I wanted to make homemade deodorant to see if it was cheaper to make or buy at the store with coupons :)

As luck would have it, my curiosity became a need when I discovered a painful ichy rash under my arms.  I looked online to try and see if I could get any answers before making a call to my doctor.  I read an article online about how your body may become allergic or have a reaction to the aluminum and how it may cause a rash. Lucky me :)

I decided a test was in order.  I had to let my ichy under arm rash heal and didn't wear deodorant for about a week.  Which here in hot Florida was quite interesting :)

I finally found a how to make deodorant tutorial and it was super easy.  I am kicking myself now for not trying this earlier, it is so easy.

As shown in the video, it takes only 3 common household ingredients to make your very own deodorant: Coconut Oil, Baking Soda and Cornstarch.  I don't have arrowroot powder and cornstarch worked great for me :)  Also here in Florida, it is hot, which means my Coconut Oil stays liquid.  So, I used it as a liquid instead of a solid and it works just great for me :)

Corn Starch, Baking Soda and Coconut Oil
Mix it all together
Voila~ Homemade deodorant
 Since we do live in hot Florida, my deodorant is on the soft side, which is fine by me.  I just use my finger to get a little of the deodorant and rub it in real well.

Now for the cost~ is it really cheaper to make homemade deodorant?  While I know many of you hunt for fantastic bargains and deals, you could probably get deodorant from the store cheaper than making it.  Even though making it yourself, doesn't cost that much.  And since my body decided to rebel against store bought deodorant, I really didn't have much a choice :)

It costs me:
$6.64- Coconut Oil~ $0.22 an ounce
$0.54- Baking Soda~ $0.03 an ounce
$1.00- Cornstarch~ $0.06 an ounce

Making the final cost for the finished product, a whopping $0.62 to make.  I think I can handle that :)  Since making the switch, I haven't had any more underarm rashes and it works great in this lovely Florida heat.  This homemade deodorant is a keeper for me :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment