Thursday, April 10, 2014

Our Wild & Crazy Saturday

I know some of you have been patiently waiting for details on our wild and crazy Saturday :)

It started out nice and normal.  A trip to our local Farmer's Market.  Strolling around, enjoying the nice weather and looking for the farmer family we usually shop from.  We found them, chatted with them and bought cucumbers and green peppers.  Nathan was disappointed when we couldn't find any blueberries.

And then I saw it.  Something sparkly caught my eye.  I could hear what sounded like wind chimes.  I had to investigate.  I found the neatest  husband and wife business~ Recycled Silverware Art.  Wind Chimes made out of forks- so neat.  And then I spotted it~ a butterfly made out of spoons- I had to have it.  I couldn't make up my mind which one I wanted- butterfly made out of spoons or knives- hmmmm. 

I decided to walk around to think about which one I wanted.  When I got back to the booth, the spoon butterfly was left.  So, it was settled ~ butterfly spoons it was:
Isn't it cute?

Came home, ate lunch and got ready to leave for church.  I found out our church offers a Respite Night.  I wasn't sure what a Respite Night was but once I found out, I knew it was something I definitely wanted to do.  Respite Night is for special needs children and their siblings.  I had no clue that Respite Night was in such high demand in our community.  And since Nathan exhibits Autistic behaviors, he was invited to participate.  Our church has an awesome Special Needs Ministry.  His buddy, Ms. Kelley was awesome :)

Respite Night  is an amazing night where parents can bring their special needs kids and siblings to the church for the evening.  They can go run errands, go out to eat, go to a movie or whatever they want knowing that their children are in great hands.  The church provides dinner and entertainment, all free of charge:)  The children are all paired up with buddies to spend the evening and bond with.  It is an awesome night.

We got to church that evening ready for whatever was thrown our way.  Kevin came with me to help out.  I learned who I was going to be a buddy to.  A sweet 6 year old named Theresa- how perfect~ Theresa & Theresa :)  She has Autism and has 4 brothers who all have Autism.

We were introduced and immediately she hugged me.  This night was going to be great.  I was so pumped.  We gathered in the big room and sang and danced.  We ate dinner and then it was time for centers.   That is when Theresa decided to come alive.  She ran all over the place. I was told that she was quiet and reserved.  It seems little miss Theresa decided to come out of her shell that evening.  She had so much energy.  I had no clue that Respite night was going to turn into a high energy circuit training- LOL:)  We went to the playground and she decided sand angels is what was going to make her happy. I sure hope her mother was excited about all the sand she probably took home with her :)

By the end of the night, I was exhausted.  I was exhausted into Sunday.  But I had a blast and Theresa's parents finally had an evening to themselves to enjoy.

There was such a great turn out, our church has decided to provide Respite night free of charge on the first Saturday of every month.  Guess I need to rest up now for the next one~ I can't wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment