Thursday, March 14, 2013

February 2013 Monthly Project~ Kettle Corn

I love Kettle Corn.  We could eat it all the time.  I was curious to see if we could make Kettle Corn at home and taste good.  I found this recipe and we eagerly put it to the test.

Let's see how this went:

We got out our Canola Oil, sugar and popcorn.
Oil and 3 kernels

Popcorn and sugar

Popcorn popped- the last kernel popped out of the pot:)

Mmmmm- yummy- enjoy:)
 Kettle Corn
1/4 C Canola Oil
1/4 C Sugar
1/2 C Popcorn

Place 1/4 C Canola Oil in large pot.  Throw in 3 popcorn kernels and turn stove on Med High.  Now wait until you hear the 3 popcorn kernels pop.  While waiting, measure out the popcorn and sugar and put in bowl.  Once you hear the popcorn pop, quickly pour in bowl of popcorn sugar mix.  Put top on large pop and start shaking pot back and forth.  Don't stop until you hear the popping slowing down. 

My first attempt at this recipe, I didn't start shaking until the popcorn started popping- big mistake.  The sugar burnt.  It didn't stop the boys from devouring the burnt kettle corn.  My second attempt, I started shaking from the beginning and it worked beautifully.

Once you hear the popping slowing down, remove the pan from heat.  Pour in bowl and enjoy your sweet popcorn goodness:)

We give this recipe a big thumbs up.  We will be making this as often as we can:)

7 comments:

  1. Really- wow-what if i dont have canola oil- think i can use vegetable oil? cant wait to give this a try...thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to use regular vegetable oil in place of canola oil.

      Delete
  2. one more question- i have microwave popcorn- its like healthy choice or something- so it doesnt have alot of butter in it- you think i could open the bag and pop it on the stove and add the sugar...my son has a baseball game tonight- so no time to go to the store-and i want to try it today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, I have no clue. The only thing I can tell you is to rip open the bag and try it and see what happens. Then, come back and let me know how it went. Good luck with your son's baseball game:)

      Delete
  3. omg- I used the microwave popcorn- it was a healthy choice bag and guess what it said kettle corn- so i was pretty sure it was going to be extra good. The expiration day was sometime in 2012- but hey I always eat expired food- so i went for it.....It was NASTY- like brown and chewy- we threw the whole thing away- no popcorn for the game :( My frist thought was - i wish i had your phone #- i would of called you up and told you all about it :) The game was good though-my son got a few good hits!

    I'm going to the store on my lunch break though- going to get NEW popcorn and try it again tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sucess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it does taste just like the county fair...the kids love it! they have a HUGE bowl and they are already asking- if we eat this all- can you make more....and they loved watching it pop on the stove- we had a glass lid :)
    thanks so much!

    maybe i will try the yogurt next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tess~ Sorry I am just now commenting- we just got back:) Sorry that your first kettle corn experiment didn't work for you. Happy to hear your son's game was good. HOORAY for kettle corn success- it is on my boys most requested list also:) That is awesome that they got to see the popping in action. Definitely, try the yogurt. It is so easy to make. My older boys love it, younger ones not so much but they don't like yogurt anyways.

      Delete