Wednesday, February 29, 2012

January 2012 Project- Pear Butter

I just realized that I forgot to post about my January project.  Between dentist appointments, surgeries, doctor appointments, life..... this post kind of got pushed behind.  Sorry about that.  I did my January project in January, just didn't get a chance to post it.  So, you all get a double feature~ this evening, I am going to be not only posting about my January project but will also post about my February project before March sneaks up on us tomorrow-= LOL:)  So, here goes:

My January project was to make Pear Butter.  Kind of like apple butter but with pears.  I made apple butter late last year and while the boys thought it was wonderful, I thought it was way too sugary for me.  So, I decided to cut back on the sugar in the pear butter.

I took 5 quarts of homemade pear sauce, which is runnier than applesauce, and poured it into my crockpot.  I then added the following ingredients:
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2 C orange juice
2 C sugar
And stirred it up- Doesn't it look pretty?
Look at those amazing swirls. 

I cooked it on low.  I don't know if it was because the pear sauce was alot runnier than applesauce but it took 3 days on low to get it to the consistency that I wanted.  I also didn't leave it my crockpot on all night.  Some people do but I prefer not to have my crockpot on overnight.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of filling my canning jars but I did get pictures of the finished canned pear butter. 
Which I must say is scrumptious- not too sweet~ just right.

January project- success :)

No comments:

Post a Comment