Thursday, February 16, 2012

Growing up with the Fruit of the Spirit

Our minister, Charles has been doing a sermon series about the Fruit of the Spirit.  He got us to think about the Fruits of the Spirit one by one and asked who we wanted to be like when we grew up based on the Fruits of the Spirit.  My answer is simple:

I want to be like my mom when I grow up.

I remember the love her and my father shared- the way they held hands across a parking lot, the way my dad opened the car door, the way they looked at each other.  It was obvious to all around the love they shared.

When I think of someone who possessed the Fruits of the Spirit I think about my mom.  My mother displayed all the Fruits and then some.

Love- My mother's favorite loves- God, her amazing church family, my dad, family and her grand kids. 

Joy- Her "loves" brought her so much joy.  I can still remember the smile and look in her eyes as she held each of my babies.  She was such a proud and young looking grandmother.

Peace- My mother was the keeper of the peace in our household.  Even though she is in Heaven, I know she is still loving life and is at peace.  She had such a calmness about her- a loving peace.

Patience- My mother was the queen of patience.  You kind of had to be to be able to deal with not only my dad but my brother and myself as well.  We all tested her patience quite often.

Kindness- My mother was so loving and kind.  If you truly needed something or someone, she was there.  Whether you needed a shoulder to cry on or just someone to talk to- she was there.

Generosity- I don't need to tell you about her generosity.  Those who knew her knew she was generous with her time and resources.

Faithfulness- My mother was faithful to giving her life to God, her husband and her family. 

Gentleness- She was gentle with her words and her smile.  She had a smile that could take your bad day and make it seem not so bad after all.  Her hugs were so comforting- you knew everything was going to be OK.

Self Control- My mother exhibited a lot of self control.  She was able to balance her church life, her work, her home life and her marriage so beautifully.  Not to say she didn't have her fair share of stresses.  She showed great self control with her words.  A look was sometimes all it took:)

So, if you ask me who I want to be when I grow up based on the Fruits of the Spirit- I will tell you:

I hope to be just like my mom, who was more than just my mother- she was my best friend.  I hope to have the love she shared.  The devotion and commitment to God she practiced.  To be a loving a wife and mother to my own family.  And to be a great steward of my time and finances.

I do believe my mother is the whole basket of Fruit and then some:)

Who do you want to be like when you grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment