Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Homemade Coffee Creamer Project

I have wanted to make this project for some time now.  I finally got the chance :)

After much research, I finally found a recipe that I wanted to use to make our homemade coffee creamer.  Since my body seems to not like diary anymore, I needed a dairy free option.  Here is the recipe I used.

Did you know that you can make almond milk simply by soaking almonds. draining them, added them to a blender with water and blending?  The joys of the Internet :)  I had no clue it was that easy.

Anyhow, back to my non diary coffee creamer.  Here is what I did:
Soaking almonds
Added almonds, water, oil and vanilla to blender
Blend :)
Straining
Leftover Almond Pulp
I halved the original recipe.

Since I have a non powerful cheap blender, I needed to soak the almonds first.  I then drained the almonds and added them to my blender.  I also added 2 Cups of water, 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil and a splash of Vanilla and blended.  I then strained it and poured in a glass container.

It smelled like heaven when it was done blending.  I immediately used it in my coffee.  I was so excited and then I tasted in.  WOW~ it was not at all what I expected :(  I was so bummed.  It was not thick and creamy as I had hoped.  I'm not sure what I did wrong.  And it definitely needs a sweetener.

Back to the drawing board on this one :(

Upon going back and reading the comments on this blog, I found that the coconut oil needs to emulsify with the almond milk and that non powerful blenders may need more time to make that happen.  I am going to give it another whirl and will let you all know what happens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment