Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Homemade Laundry Detergent Project

Wow~ I can't believe that this was our April project :(

I have wanted to make laundry detergent for some time now, but time has not been ourfriend. A quick search online led to tons of laundry detergent DIY recipes.  I needed to find one that was safe to use in my HE washer.  After lots of looking and note taking, we came up with a recipe that we wanted to try :)

Here is how it went:
Items needed to make your very own laundry detergent
Half a bar and my handy dandy grater
Bar soap shredded
Finished project
Homemade Laundry Detergent
1/2 bar of Fels-Naptha soap
1 C Washing Soda
1 C Borax
1/2 C Oxygen Cleaner

Grate 1/2 bar of Fels-Naptha soap and place in food processor or blender.  Blend for about 30 seconds.  Add washing soda and Borax to food processor or blender.  Blend until nice and powdery- about 10 seconds.  Dump contents into container and add Oxygen cleaner and stir.  Use 1 Tbsp per load.

**Warning~ After blending soap, washing soda and Borax, let the processor/blender rest for a few minutes.  I did not and had a nice powdery cloud come out of my food processor and cover my counters with a nice dusting :)  This recipe may be messy but those who know me and my 4 boys know that we make messes on a daily basis.  It is part of who we are~ lol :)

As soon as I was finished making the detergent, I made a mad dash to the laundry room to test it out.  I kind of like doing laundry, which is great since we have so much of it :)  I placed 1 Tbsp of the detergent in the detergent tray.  I had no problems with the detergent dissolving.  This detergent works great.  We are really liking it :)

If you give it a try, let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment