Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Kevin's Really Cool Birthday Cake

Last week was crazy busy.  I find out that my hubby's out of state conference was going to be during Kevin's birthday.  We didn't want him to miss out on celebrating so we moved up Kevin's birthday celebration.  Which also meant making his cake.  Thanks to the short notice, I did cheat and bought cake mix and frosting.

Kevin thought long and hard and decided he wanted a basketball cake.  Not a cake with a basketball theme on top, oh no.  A cake in the shape of a basketball.  This is going to require some thought and creativity.

First thing we had to do was locate a pan that was the shape of a half basketball.  I searched high and low and could not find a sphere cake pan.  Luckily someone had a bright idea.  An oven proof mixing bowl would work :)  I scoured my cabinets and found a set of Pyrex mixing bowls.  On  the bottom it said oven proof- BINGO :)  I was so excited~ I dreaded having to go out and buy a cake pan that likely would never get used again.  I almost turned the cake project over to a baking friend- almost.

Next, what do you fill in the basketball cake with.  Kevin thought M&M's.  He got super excited and very willing to sift though all the M&M's to pick out just the right colors for his cake.  How many packages of M&M's would I have to buy??  Just the thought of eating the leftover colors made him very happy.  And then Kevin had a bright idea~ what circular candy has a majority of orange and brown?  Reese's Pieces- yay :)  

We decided to turn his cake project into an art project~ I love homeschooling :)

I cooked the cake, let it cool and then turned the art/cooking project over to Kevin and little Michael.  Here is how it went:
The cooled cake
Frosting the cake
Adding the lines of Reese's Pieces to the cake/ sneaking candy.  Just look at the face of innocence :)
Michael & Kevin adding the inside of the basketball.  Add 1 eat 1 :)
Finished Project
I think they did a great job on decorating the basketball cake.  Kevin was so excited to have his basketball cake :)  All the boys are now thinking about what kind of cake they want for their birthdays :)  I hope they give me plenty of notice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment