Thursday, September 22, 2011

Easy Money Saving Tips- Part 3


If you have missed Part 1 and Part 2

Today's money saving tip is.............

Stop throwing money away by buying paper towels.  We would go through a 3 roll of papertowels every week for this family of 6.  That is alot of papertowels, but with 4 kids and 2 animals we have alot of messes sometimes.

I am not saying don't ever buy papertowels, just don't buy so many.  We do buy a 6 roll of papertowels, that I barely pay anything for using coupons and sales, once a year.

You are probably looking at your computer screen asking how in the world do we clean up spills if we only buy papertowels once a year.  Simple, we use rags to clean up spilled milk or other easy messes.  We also use rags to clean the bathrooms and kitchen and other areas of our house instead of using papertowels.  The best part is we didn't spend any money acquiring our rags. 

One evening, my husband was sitting in the living room trying to repair one of his favorite t-shirts (yes, I am so blessed my husband can do some simple sewing) and he got discourged that his shirt was too far gone.  As he was heading for the trashcan, it hit me and I yelled- "Freeze!!"  We can cut up his holey shirts and use them for cleaning rags.

We went through his shirts and found quite a few that were beyond repair.  I handed him a pair of scissors and we went to town cutting them into long strips.  We also use an old shirt that Nathan can no longer wear that has some stains on it for a dusting rag.  A great part to using rags is that once you are done, you can throw them into the washing machine with whatever you are washing and whalaa they are clean and can be reused.


So, if I use rags to clean up messes and to clean with, why in the world do I buy papertowels?  I have been asked this question.  Well, with 2 pets- accidents sometimes do happen and those messes along with grease, we would rather just clean up and toss. 

As most of you know, I love to run numbers so here is what we are saving by using rags instead of papertowels. 
$2 for 3 roll papertowels once a week
x4 weeks
$8 a month
x12 months
$96- wow almost a $100 a year we are saving each year by using rags that don't cost us anything to make:)

No comments:

Post a Comment