Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How I turned 1 meal into 3 meals

As most of you know, I love leftovers.  I normally cook more than we normally eat just to have leftovers.  I cook Monday - Friday and love not having to cook Saturday and Sunday and being able to spend that time with my family.  I love having to just go into the kitchen, look in the fridge and heat up what we are going to have that night for dinner.  Sometimes we have a little of this and a little of that in the fridge. Instead of heating it all up and having the possibility of it not getting eaten, I just grab a scrap of paper and basically take "orders" as to what everyone wants and heat it up by the plate full,  It works wonderfully for our family. 

I was so excited to be able to turn my homemade crockpot chicken noodle soup into 3 meals for our family of 6.  Here is how I did it:

I made a crockpot full of homemade chicken noodle soup but accidentally put in too many noodles.  The first night we had chicken noodle soup with rolls.  The noodles sucked up most of the broth overnight.  The next day I added some store bought chicken broth ( I didn't have any homemade broth left) and heated it up by the bowl full and paired it with yummy grilled cheese sandwiches.  The 3rd night, I still had a lot of chicken noodle soup left, well mostly chicken, noodles and veggies and very little broth.  No problem, I said and I took the noodles, chicken and veggies and put them into a greased 9x13 pan sprinkled a little shredded cheese on top and baked in the oven for about 20 minutes.

 We served this with the leftover rolls and it was yummy:)  I was able to take my 1 crockpot full of chicken noodle soup and use it for 3 meals- what a great way to save on our grocery budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment